Historique: Ferdinand de Bavière
Born on 7 October 1577 in Munich, fourth son of Guillaume V and Renée de Lorraine. He is the nephew and Coadjutor of Ernest of Bavaria. He was appointed Archbishop of Cologne in 1595, Dean of the Bishopric of Liège in 1601, Bishop of Munster, Hildesheim, Paderborn and the Abbey of Stavelot. He was appointed by Pope Paul V, Prince Bishop of Liège on 16 March 1612. He was never ordained a priest. Since 1633, the Chiroux-Grignoux conflict opposes the Chiroux partisans of the princely power and the Grignoux of the popular party. On 16 April 1637, Bourgmestre Sébastien La Ruelle was assassinated by Spanish soldiers. La Ruelle is Democrat and Grignoux, it is for a secret agreement with France and the United Provinces. He cultivates a hatred towards the Jesuits and the Spaniards since bands (armed by the prince-bishop) ravage and burn 8000 farms of the principality. The communal militias will eliminate these bands and make them a political victory. There will also be the Sainte-Grignoux during the communal elections of 1646 the episcopal palace will be ransacked. In 1649, the emperor Ferdinand III put the principality of Liège to the ban of the Empire. Bavarian general Otto Christoph freiherr von Sparr bombarded Liege on 12 August 1649 and Maximilian-Henri of Bavaria (next prince-bishop) at the head of the Bavarian troops returned to the city 29 August and restored order. The communal militia was dissolved and the Grignoux had to capitulate. Ferdinand of Bavaria, who had settled at Huy during the disturbances, was able to return to Liège on 16 September 1649. It was towards the end of his life that the construction of the citadel was begun on the heights of Sainte-Walburge. On the monetary plane, Ferdinand of Bavaria confirms the rights and privileges of the coiners on condition that they swear to live in the Catholic religion. Ferdinand of Bavaria died on 13 September 1650 in Arnsberg in Westphalia. He is buried in the cathedral of Cologne.
Demi-liard (Dengis 1049, de Chestret 614)
This half-liard or gigot of 12 sols is struck with the hammer in Liège in 1614. There is a variety without date, a variant without date nor value, as well as a variety with the lions crowned on the shield of the palatinate. The wardian (supervisor) is Charles De Conninck.
Obverse : The coat-of-arms, quartered from Bavaria-Palatinate, are surmounted by a ducal bonnet and on the sides, the value.
Revers : Dans le champ, le perron de Liège entouré de trois écussons surmontés d'une couronne ornée et aux côtés la date. Les armoiries sont ; à gauche le marquisat de Franchimont, à droite le comté de Hornes et en bas les armoiries de l'empire allemand.
Reverse : The perron of Liège surrounded by three escutcheons surmounted by a crown decorated and with the date. The coat of arms are; On the left the Marquisate of Franchimont, on the right the county of Hornes and below the coat-of-arms of the German Empire.
Diamètre : 19,5 à 23,0 mm
Diameter : 19.5 to 23.0 mm
Poids : 1,17 à 2,43 g
Weight : 1.17 to 2.43 g
Axe : Divers
Axis : Miscellaneous
Métal : Cuivre
Metal : Copper
Degré de rareté : Peu commun (PC)
Degree of rarity : Uncommon (PC)
La frappe des monnaies
Monnnaies liégeoises Demi-liard (Dgs 1049) Ferdinand de Bavière Monnaies de Liège Demi-liard (Dgs 1049) Ferdinand de Bavière
Monnnaie liégeoise Demi-liard (Dgs 1049) Ferdinand de Bavière Monnaie de Liège Demi-liard (Dgs 1049) Ferdinand de Bavière monnaiesdeLIEGE