Historique: Ferdinand de Bavière
Born on 7 October 1577 in Munich, fourth son of Guillaume V and Renée de Lorraine. He is the nephew and Coadjutor of Ernest of Bavaria. He was appointed Archbishop of Cologne in 1595, Dean of the Bishopric of Liège in 1601, Bishop of Munster, Hildesheim, Paderborn and the Abbey of Stavelot. He was appointed by Pope Paul V, Prince Bishop of Liège on 16 March 1612. He was never ordained a priest. Since 1633, the Chiroux-Grignoux conflict opposes the Chiroux partisans of the princely power and the Grignoux of the popular party. On 16 April 1637, Bourgmestre Sébastien La Ruelle was assassinated by Spanish soldiers. La Ruelle is Democrat and Grignoux, it is for a secret agreement with France and the United Provinces. He cultivates a hatred towards the Jesuits and the Spaniards since bands (armed by the prince-bishop) ravage and burn 8000 farms of the principality. The communal militias will eliminate these bands and make them a political victory. There will also be the Sainte-Grignoux during the communal elections of 1646 the episcopal palace will be ransacked. In 1649, the emperor Ferdinand III put the principality of Liège to the ban of the Empire. Bavarian general Otto Christoph freiherr von Sparr bombarded Liege on 12 August 1649 and Maximilian-Henri of Bavaria (next prince-bishop) at the head of the Bavarian troops returned to the city 29 August and restored order. The communal militia was dissolved and the Grignoux had to capitulate. Ferdinand of Bavaria, who had settled at Huy during the disturbances, was able to return to Liège on 16 September 1649. It was towards the end of his life that the construction of the citadel was begun on the heights of Sainte-Walburge. On the monetary plane, Ferdinand of Bavaria confirms the rights and privileges of the coiners on condition that they swear to live in the Catholic religion. Ferdinand of Bavaria died on 13 September 1650 in Arnsberg in Westphalia. He is buried in the cathedral of Cologne.
Portrait de Ferdinand de Bavière
Demi-daler (Dengis 1040, de Chestret 593)
Ce demi-daler est fabriqué à Liège ou à Visé. L'hôtel des monnaies de Visé est démantelé le 5 avril 1619. Charles de Conninck, Wardin de son état, supervise le déménagement de l'atelier vers Liège. Le trajet se fait en bateau en remontant la Meuse. Le demi-daler type B ci-dessus est tréflé. C'est un défaut qui est fréquent dans la frappe au marteau. Il consiste en un double trait du motif.
This half-daler is manufactured in Liège or Visé. The Hôtel des Coins de Visé was dismantled on April 5, 1619. Charles de Conninck, Wardin of his state, supervised the move of the workshop to Liège. The journey is by boat up the Meuse. The half-daler type B above is trefoil. It is a defect that is common in hammering. It consists of a double trait of the pattern.
Avers : Buste du prince à gauche en costume de grand électeur et tête nue.
Obverse : Bust of the prince on the left in the costume of a great elector and bare head.
Revers : Armoiries de Bouillon couronnées d'un bonnet ducal, aux côtés les lettres F et B et en dessous la date et la valeur.
Reverse : Coat of arms of Bouillon crowned with a ducal bonnet, with the sides F and B and below the date and the value.
Diamètre : 28,0 à 31,0 mm
Diameter : 28.0 to 31.0 mm
Poids : 6,61 à 8,57 g
Weight : 6.61 to 8.57 g
Axe : Divers
Axis : Miscellaneous
Métal : Argent
Metal : Silver
Degré de rareté : Peu commun (PC)
Degree of rarity : Uncommon (PC)
La Bonne Ville de Visé en bordure de Meuse
Monnaies liégeoises Demi-daler (Dgs 1040) Ferdinand de Bavière Monnaies de Liège Demi daler (Dgs1040) Ferdinand de Bavière
Monnaie liégeoise Demi-daler (Dgs 1040) Ferdinand de Bavière Monnaie de Liège Demi daler (Dgs1040) Ferdinand de Bavière MonnaiesdeLIEGE